Wednesday 30 December 2015

It's time for NaJuReMoNoMo!

It's time, once again for NaJuReMoNoMo!   Or National Just Read More Novels month.   I participate with varying levels of success.  A take off of Novembers Write more Novels, a friend once posited that there is no point in writing them unless you are reading them.  So that is it.  The challenge in a nutshell.  Just read new to you novels this month.

I do intend to do some reading though, this year.  All this thinking about keeping only what you really love has made me look hard at some of my books.  I have some old ones, collected some time ago, classic novels, like Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier.  How will I know if I love it unless I read it?  So that is what I intend to do.  Read them.  I also have a couple sitting on my e-reader that await me.  The second Poldark Novel and the second novel in the Matthew Shardlake series by CJ Sansom.  And then, there are a few things I have been saving to purchase.  There is a new Geraldine Brooks novel, The Secret Chord and another, All the Light We Cannot See by Anothony Doerr that I am thinking of getting as audio books.  

The audio books are critical if I intend to get any knitting done and there is always knitting to be done.  I want to start Isaac's sweater, a match for the little blue denim one from last fall that I knit for his brother and then a sweater for his mom, Pole from Joji Locatelli in a can't wait to work with it batch of Madelinetosh Tosh DK.

But I also want to start a project that has been lingering for a while.  I love the twisted stitch patterns from the Twisted Stitch Knitting by Maria Earlbacher.  Those lovely patterns resonate with me, the detail, the crispness.  I have yarn and am ready to start a sampler shawl of these fantastic patterns.  I have no idea which of the many designs I will use, but that is half the fun, dreaming of them!

The other thing I have been dreaming of doing is to start a very large lacy light shawl for me.  I have knit several for others, but only the Icelandic shawl was for me.  I have a large stash of lace yarns and I would like to see me knitting some for me, just me.  I have no idea which pattern, but several are in my pile of dreams to knit.

This is going to be a kind of selfish year.  I have told myself, no kiddie knitting.  I have vowed no knitting for everyone else this year.  Less small things, more large things need doing.  

It's easy to sit here and dream of days to come as an old year winds down.  It's easy to dream in the days between.  I might plan and dream, but who really knows the roads ahead.   I just look forward to traveling it.

Updated to add this!

I used exactly two balls of Impressions and that felt like enough knitting and since this was really just about something different as a palette cleanser, I decided I was done.

No comments: