Friday 2 October 2015

Socks Have Taken Over the Knitting

Socks seem to have taken over the knitting.  Not that that should surprise anyone if they have read much of this blog at all.  There is always sock knitting happening because it is the perfect pick me up in between long slogs on any other project.  Also, because I like warm feet.

Sock one of my current obsession is complete.

 The sock is designed for an afterthought heel and I will do the heels on both socks at the same time. The toe for the second sock is on the list of things I need to do today.  The basic pattern is the Geek Socks from Knitty.com

I meet a surprising number of people who don't know Knitty yet, and really, if you have never been there, I do encourage you to have a look.  Knitty is the boss!

However, what with all the dolly stuff, my eyes were completely done in by the end of the day and I was in bed before 8 pm. Which means that I was wide awake at 2:30.

I know that when this used to happen, I would get up and read.  Now days, I knit.  I grabbed my purse knitting and worked till I was sleepy again.



That tiny 'seam' line is the point where I change yarns on each round.  You can also see it isn't quite perfection.  The extra yarn on some of those stitches will be spread across the row before these are worn.  It has also just occurred to me, as I look at this picture, that it's time to see how long it is.  Might be heel time.  Or just past.  I hope not past.  I hate when that happens.  I was planning a short row heel in the charcoal, but I suppose I could work an afterthought here as well.  This sock is the Broken Seed Stitch Sock, found via Ravelry.

I really enjoy this one too.  There is a great rhythm to knitting it.  One round plain, next has the stitch pattern and so one over a 4 row repeat.  I came across this pattern on the Monstersocks forum, where in people are trying to use all the little bits of sock yarns left after a pair of socks.  It would be a great pattern for that, but its wonderful for anything where you have two strong contrasting colours.  That is my one wee small failing here.  That the dark is not crisp black but rather a charcoal dark gray and leads to places where the contrast is not quite so strong as I had hoped.  Oh well. Lesson learned.    It still makes a darn pretty sock.

And then finally, the eye tiring thing de jour...dolly!






































I love doing this for Kasia, but I am going to be glad when it is done.  Making something small, does not change what you do on a collar or sleeves.  Its takes almost as long as sewing a shirt for me!  I have one more quick pair of pants and a couple pairs of panties/ bloomers to do today.  Or maybe a onsie.  I haven't quite decided.

Anyway, onward ho!

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

Kasia is a lucky girl!

(And I quite like the less contrasty sock!