Monday 28 September 2015

When I fall in love

This song has been running through my head so much the last two days.  I hope it plays for you.  Nat King Cole and 'When I Fall in Love'


After playing with fabric Sunday, I started working on a new pair of socks.  I thought I would just get started on the toe, maybe do a couple rounds to get really started and then go to bed.  It was getting rather late after all.  (9:30)  And then something happened. 

I could not put it down.

I knit till very late and was into that second pink section.  I swear that time stood still.  It was that hypnotic.

Anybody who knits stripes or two row scarf things knows what can happen, but this is a whole other level of whatever the heck happens with striped.  

Its my first go round with the Geek Socks  from Knitty.com.  I say first go round because there will be more.  Oh yes.  Lots and lots more.  This is a pattern that you could knit just for fun a hundred times and it would never get bored.  

The yarn I am using here is just a simple striping ball of Jawoll Colour.

 You see those nice crisp rows of yarn?  That is the secret to these socks.  Sort of.  

If you go back and look at my sock, you will see some very subtle colour things happening.  What looks like a wide band of yellow on the ball band sock is two slightly different yellows.  The brown and purpley burgundy is also very close.  As you can see, I missed the first colour change.  

Part of why these look so seriously fine is that the stripes are so even.  You would get an entirely different look if you knit these in a yarn where the stripe width varied.  It still would be great but right now, I love this.

It got hypnotic again when I worked on it today.  I swear it wasn't long.  My coffee never got cold or at least I don't think so. My spaghetti squash is really well baked.  Edible though, thankfully, so it had to be at least a couple of hours!

The yarn and the pattern with this music, might strike you as two different ends of the spectrum, and in some ways, I suppose they are.  The yarn is very trendy right now with its hot vibrant green and pink.  Peppy and hot and full of incredible energy.  The music is slow and a gem out of time.  Oh so mellow and slow.  But when you fall in love, those ends of the spectrum don't matter.  Love is the only thing that does.

And I love knitting these socks.  



1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Wow. I love love love the colours.