Monday 13 July 2015

A Solo Traveler

I've been working on it here and there, picking away at its massive long rows and then one day, you realize that the lace section looks about right.

So you knit a few rows more, just to be sure.

And then it is time to cast off.  So you start to cast off and realize that it is never going to end and then it does.

 Its massive now that it is completed and the ends are free.  From Tip to tip it is over 80 inches wide.

There are so many ways to wear this piece.

 Ends over the shoulders.

 Long side to the front, though I don't think there is a realistic was I can wear it this way. I would worry i would trip on it.  It is just past my knees.



The famous side shot, which really is a lovely way to display it.


The more traditional long part of the v to the back.  I really love its ability to be a head covering as well as scarf.  When you pull up the back to wear over your head, that v raised a bit and become the perfect shawl length.

And a final shot of it, tossed over the shoulders waiting for you to wear it as something else.

I cannot tell you how much I love this.  I wasn't sure if it would really appeal to me, all that stockinette, but in the end, that and the sheer volume of wearable art is utterly sublime.  It is delicate and dainty and yet so utterly simple. 

I haven't blocked the lace yet, and I am not even going to worry about it.  I will steam it open eventually, but it works just as is.

This yarn was Brian's last gift to me, brought back from his golf trip in 2013.  I started knitting with it in September of 2013.  It was such good knitting for those sad days.  Its has stayed my companion ever since, always close at hand, never tucked too far away.  I could have knit it a little larger, but the lace felt like it was just about right.  It had the right sort of presence to the volume of the stockinette, to finish it off and feel balanced.

So I started to cast it off.  I started on Friday while watching the second half of the Battlestar Gallactica Mini series. Not done.

I worked on it yesterday afternoon and evening, while watching 3 very determined to get it done sort of episodes of West Wing.  Still not done.  

I watched another episode of West Wing.  Half way through the episode.  Done.  The episode played on and I cried for a while.

In a way, I will miss having this and its beat up looking ziploc with me all the time.  The bottom of my big purse feels a little bare.  It was a lovely gift and now the last gift wraps my shoulders like a hug to warm all the memories inside me.    

3 comments:

Mrs.Spit said...

And a reminder that those we love never truly leave us. Sending love.

Anonymous said...

A lovely result. GD

Sel and Poivre said...

Perfect. Really perfect in every way.