Friday 9 January 2015

Or am I just panicking for nothing?

As I posted yesterday, about the blue sweater and yarn planning and use, I was just beginning to worry.  Worry clung to the edges of my thoughts all day yesterday.  It doesn't feel remotely long enough.  It looks dreadfully short from the underarms to the needle.  I was going to have to settle for another sleeveless vest.  

By the time I got home, I was in full panic.  There were chores to be done so it was almost 8 p.m. till I sat down to work on it.  I knit till almost 10 before I realized I should measure it against another sweater, the one I was wearing, for instance.  

This one actually, which, most appallingly has only this in progress picture on its Ravelry page.  This Shalom turned out to be the perfect length.  

According to this sweater, I need to knit about 4 inches more on the blue sweater.  According to the yarn used for it, I should just squeak out sleeves for the blue sweater.  I should be fine. And yet...

Panic continues unabated.  I am going to sit down tonight and knit till I know it is going to be fine for length.  I feel my hyper focus superpower kicking in.

Is it possible that panic is what makes me finish sweaters?  Can it be that panic and fear pushes me through these long swaths of stockinette?  The more I feel panicky, the faster I knit, and the more anxious I become, the more determined I am to get it over with?

That's a fairly big revelation for so early in the morning.  Panic.  With a purpose.  Who knew.

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

I find I knit really fast when watching an edge of your seat thriller movie.