Tuesday 29 October 2013

And Away we go

Today is a day of errands and laundry and packing.  And then I am off to Knitlab in San Matteo.  I don't know if I am more excited about Knitlab or San Matteo or if what really excites me is the idea of taking a class from Nancy Bush.

In a lot of ways knitting has been about sweaters knitting for me.  That certainly was what I really wanted to do when I started this adventure but it also quickly became about something more.  

That something more is about learning and understanding those who knit before.  I haven't ever felt that I had to knit a whole project doing absolutely everything they did to create, but understanding why they might have done a particular technique makes me understand the whole of knitting better.  

Nancy Bush was the first writer and knitter who opened that world to me. Her book 'Folk Knitting in Estonia' was one of the very first that I read that took a look at one cultures traditions and  blew my whole world wide open.  When she published 'Knitted Lace of Estonia' I had a friend try to source a copy of the book before it was published in Canada.  I was one of the very very many who waited and waited for a copy when the first run sold out.  (Or at least that is what I think happened. The publisher did not understand the demand)  

She continues to be my favourite author of  historic knitting and I am nothing less than thrilled that I get the chance finally to take a class from her.  

This all started a lifetime ago, back in the very very early spring.  It started long before I knew my world could possibly be so different.  It became a step that would happen, a marker for the days and something to go forward to.  Not look forward to but a reason to go forward and get out and do.  

This last week, I am pleased to say, it has become something I am looking forward to again.  I am thrilled that I get the chance.  

Now, off to make the list of lists.  Supplies, American dollars, figure out how to get more funds on my prepaid master card and how to get it to show up in my bank...

So many details so little time!

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

And what a wonderful thing to look forward to. Have a fabulous time.