Monday 26 August 2013

Now where was I

I had a lovely visit with my sister.  She would probably say she didn't help much but she did.  In case any one asks, I have wonderful sisters!

I did a little work on Pepita as the week progressed, but not so much as you would notice.  I am still a nice inch away from adding the wee bum increases, but I feel confident that that will be done in no time flat.

As is my wont, I have not been wholly faithful to Pepita.  
I picked up another non-thinking project that has been sitting for a very long time waiting for attention.  Many many moons ago, I made a blanket for son3.  I started one for son2 and worked up the first two sections and then set it aside till now.  

It is made out of my rather large stash of Berroco Comfort Chunky.  I originally bought the Comfort Chunky for 2 blankets that I wanted to make and then bought more when I was so pleased with the way this yarn worked up for the blanket.  Son2 never even asked for a blanket but it seems I mean to make him one anyway!

What you see here is the tan section 1 , black section 2 and orange section 3 of the Moderne Log Cabin Blanket.  When I picked it up the other day, I noticed a problem.  I doubt that it was why I stopped working on it, but once, seen it had to be corrected. 

The problem is best explained by showing you.
 As you see, Comfort Chunky.
As you see, Comfort, not so much chunky. (Forgive the blur)  I knew this when I bought it, but I think that I had planned to double it to compensate.  Then, once knitting, I forgot to compensate.  There really wasn't anything wrong with it.  The gauge was a little smaller, as you would expect. It would have worked and I could have lived with it, I suppose, but it did not feel right.  One of the things I really love about Comfort Chunky is the heft of it and sturdiness of it when knit at this gauge and that was entirely missing form the orange section on the first go round.  
  Knit doubling the yarn is a much better feel, more suited to the weight of the rest of the yarn.  I just have to knit the smallest bit more firmly to keep gauge and I am good.  

So, two very positive things to knit.  It is helping keep my head where it ought to be and keeping my focus on one stitch at a time, always moving forward.  That is all I can ask for from knitting and right now, it means everything to me.


2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

I think you are doing very well. Glad your sister came to keep you company for awhile. Blessings on you day.

Unknown said...

lol, I thought when I saw the yarn picture that the problem was that it is yuckrlic.