Wednesday 1 May 2013

Icelandic in spirit if not in yarn.

I knit on something just a little different yesterday.

 This is the Icelandic Overblouse from Knit One, Knit All, a collection of posthumously published EZ patterns.

Its a very interesting knit in a lot of ways.  Its garter.  Time for some garter I say.  Its more or less a square but not really.  You can make it fit you with some very simple shaping.  It uses her innovative shaping to magically make sleeves. All good.

It is knit in two pieces though, and that is how I am doing it.  I didn't want to change that until I had knit it at least once and really understood what was going on.

That is the only sorry part of this.  I am almost at the end of the first piece, and though it feels like I ought to be done, I still have to knit the back.  Sigh.

I have had to come to some hard decisions.  I am knitting this out of what I have on hand, which means I only have 1 ball of the lightest of the grays.  I wasn't sure how it was going to play out, and changed to that last gray when the scale seemed right.  Sadly, right means I only have enough to knit the light gray on the front piece.  I have plenty of the second gray to knit the back in two colours and I think it will be fine.  Even if it wouldn't be fine, it is what it will be.  

I have to say that as before, one of the best parts of yesterdays knitting was tiny little blips.


These little blips of darker in the light gray just fill me with joy.  Silly but delightful little bits of pleasure.

No comments: