Anyway, I was putting stuff back in the drawers, and was wishing for some of those handy little divider things that Ikea has. I stopped and had a coffee and realized, that since the ones I was thinking of looked like crochet, and surely these could be crocheted. In fact when I thought about it, somewhere in the deep archives, I have an old Bernat book on things for the home that has all kind of boxes in it. And with the stuff for puppets out, I knew I had the cotton.
I took a Dk weight cotton, Amazon, I think it was called. I have had this since long before my knitting days, long before Ravelry. I made a really nice little hooded top out of it. I digress.
I took this generic cotton and held it double and crocheted a square for the bottom, nice and firm.
Then I picked up around all sides just as if I was knitting a garter stitch sock toe, 1 for each stitch on all sides, and just worked till I thought it was tall enough. When it was tall enough, I crocheted in a row of double crochets, and then a couple more rounds of singles.
and voila. In less than an hour, using what I had on hand a very fine box for keeping little things.
The double crochet row eases the turn down of the top edge to help reinforce the standing sides.
It was a very interesting excersize. Only one problem.
I need more boxes.