Monday 19 November 2012

Adventures in Knitting

I've been focusing on knitting the little Pepita overalls for Sweet Thing.  I need mommy to try on her green sweater before I continue with it.  Meanwhile, Pepita is taking me down the garden path.  

I was done about 2/3 of the body, and could take some good measurements.  It was 12 inches wide!  12 inches on the front and 12 on the back.  EEEEek.  Much too large.  12 inches is good for a 3 year old but not an itty bitty wiggly baby like sweet thing.  She would wiggle her way right out of it in no time flat.  (I have never seen such a wiggly kid!)

So what you see above is me ready to rip it back.  I went back to the ribbed portions and joined in the round again and knit and knit and knit.

And then I noticed this.

The difference in circumference means I have somehow found the perfect size not to knit this yarn.  So, I ripped back.

I pulled out the second ball and started knitting.  Knit another inch, realized I could not have started on a worse place.  The colours were matching so closely,  that you could not have matched them better if you tired.  Not in a million years.  I was still getting nice stripes only broader and worse.

So I ripped back.  

I was very very careful to start where the colours were quite different and it was finally knitting up nicely.

It was a busy weekend, dealing with a little emergency or two but everything came through fine and I managed to keep the knitting going.  I added some increases right about her diaper line.  That way when she needs room, she will have it, and the rest will still fit her nicely.  I'm cruising along and am showing it to Son 2, 

and realized that I increased for her diaper on the front, not the back.  

So I ripped again.

Enough stitches have been made on this wee thing, that I should have completed it, but here I sit, only half done the body, not all that far from where I started on Friday.  What would you do in this situation?

Me?  I cast on another shawl.  But its ok.  I didn't make any mistakes.  Its just garter stitch and 1 increase per row for a long time.  I'm only knitting on it at home when stuff goes wrong.  It's like backing up your computer or something.  

That is my story and I am sticking to it.   

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Having a back up project is a good thing. I knit squares for my POP blanket when things go haywire on me. (after throwing the offending project across the room...)