Monday 18 June 2012

Faitful for a week

And that is as far as it goes it seems.

We weeded the garden on the weekend.  It is a subsitence sized garden. A very, very large garden and even with two of us working, we did not quite finish in the 6 hours we put in. (Out of practice.) I'm going to have to go out and finish the corn and carrots in the evenings.  Its picky work, cleaning the rows so that each tiny plant can be the best it can be, but if we do it now, our returns from the garden will be so much bigger, and every year after we will reap the benefits of a cleaner garden.  As back breaking as the work is, I appreciate every moment of it.

If you buy from a market garden or CSA, remember food comes at the price of a lot of labour and you are getting off cheaply, no matter what you are paying.
Remember to say thank you.

The consequence to knitting is, first off, that I did not have time to do a whole lot of knitting.  Second, my hands were aching and tired.  Holding and swinging a hoe  took everything out of my hands.  I couldn't do anything heavy or large, and certainly no cotton/non wool yarn knitting.  There just wasn't enough there to give.

So I worked rather desultorily on the wee gray that might be a vest bling thing.  But even that soft smooth yarn became too much.  So, what is a knitter going to do?

Clean house or clean stash?  You got it.  I played in the stash.  I also cleaned house, but that isn't finished yet either - an unfinished weekend all around it seems.

It was time to go through the boxes and really have a look at yarn, and make sure everything is good.

For those of you unlucky souls who do not have a stash, going through the stash is the single best reason to collect a stash.  Digging in it, pawing through all that yummy goodness is reinvigorating and rejuvenating.  I feel younger than springtime with a newly kindled fire in my soul.

What I really need is some nice light new small shawls in pretty colours and yarns that are light in weight but stunning enough to offset the very very plain summer wardrobe of almost t-shirts that are my under a sweater wardrobe the rest of the year.  So to the digging was not just the usual digging. It was directed digging.

There are a couple of things in my special things collection that are going to come in play.  I have some very pretty Ruca in soft colours, that is going to be a Blossom shawl or some other budlike lace pattern, something that will handle its soft but frequent colour repeats with style and grace.  I have no photos of this because it went back into its easily accessible box.  It sits right behind my head though.  I'll not forget.

And then these were pulled from the bottom of the bottom of the closet where all the not a sweater yarns are.
Seduce, lovely Seduce from Berocco.  A pretty drapey something, I think.  A Berthe Collar perhaps?  

Then there is this pretty slinky skein that I kind of ended up with when buying a bag of other yarn that I coveted.  This was totally an accident but a very very pretty one.  A single 400 m skein of Yarn Pirate's Merino Tencel fingering weight yarn.  Small shawl country for sure.   

Then oh my coveted, longed for something from Classic Elites Fresca.  I love this yarn.  It develops the most delicious halo with its angora content.  It will be a Clockwork or a Daybreak, but until I sit down to buy the pattern I will not know which. I suspect Clockwork, but don't put Daybreak out of contention just yet. 

And then these.  Oh my precious.  These are almost too pretty to knit, but If I don't knit them the magical Noro colours will remain forever hidden. 

And that would be a crime against the universe. Noro Kiramecki above and Sekku below.  I have only 1 ball of the Kirameki, but two of the Sekku.  One of them is going to be Citron  and the other is going to be Revontuli huivi or translated,  Northern Lights .  Either shawl can be made with 1 and both can be as large as you want.  I cast on the the Revontuli with this one, but the knitting seems very fine.  I might change my mind yet.

but then again, when I look at all the projects in SekkuThis pattern speaks to me in this yarn.  


I'm under a spell.  Bewitched.  Let the good magic flow. 

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Planning as you have just done, is such fun.