Tuesday 10 April 2012

Why socks are forever on my mind.

I know I have been talking socks a lot lately, but I am having such fun with them.  But besides all the fun I have knitting them, socks are a very important subject. They impact the real world from the moment I get dressed in the morning.  

Socks are serious stuff.

I was talking a few weeks ago about how some of the older socks had holes in the holes, they were so bad.  They were the old socks, the going on 3 years socks.  They were torture tested and washed and dried in the dryer so many times, that even an angels wings would have lost their shine and loft.  

But now I will speak to you of the horrors of the not long lived sock.  This is the sort of unexpected horror that happens when you open the dryer and pick out your favourite pair of socks to wear to work (it never gets farther than the dryer here) when shazamm, it hits you.  

 Giant, gaping holes.
Not just ordinary holes, or spots where the thread got thin and took a vacation, but a huge gaping maw in each heel.  

M113 monster kind of gaping maws.

To say I was devastated is mild.  

These socks are only a year old, a year and 3 months to be precise.  The main part of the foot is made of a very pretty single skein of Lang Jawoll and heels, toes and ribbing are made from a generic white yarn from the leftover bit bin.  The feet seems to be holding up fine, but Mr. Generic White just couldn't cut it. Mr. Generic pooped out in his youth, barely reaching puberty in the life of a sock.  

If I knew what the heck Mr. Generic white was, I would never, ever buy him again.

As you can see this sock has short row garter stitch heel.  Luckily, this kind of heel is easy to replace.  I have to do it by Friday, because the sock drawer is dry.  If it the sock drought goes on past Friday morning, I will be wearing unmatched 'pairs'.    

I would fix it right now but I have to finish the pretty, pretty shawl. I'm already behind on that for gift giving and tomorrow is my first day at the new assignment. I'll be retracing old steps to get it to the giftee, but the steps are good ones.  They take me back to a firm friend.  Its good. Still, time's a wastin' .  

Shawl, then finely tuned sock repair. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you have to wear mismatched pairs take as an opportunity to feel oh so much younger - like our kids age. They seem to like mismatched socks. GD