Tuesday 24 April 2012

A Spinning thought.

I've been thinking about spinning the last while, a little gentle meandering, a little flighty thinking but a lot of soul searching.  Spenidn so much time with spinnners on the retreat led me in that direction.  

What is next, where do I go from here.  On one hand, I like here.  I like doing the things I am doing.  I like the results I am getting.  Heaven knows I have enough fibre.  It is mostly the same preparation, but oh my do I have fibre.  It is time to record it on Ravelry in order to keep track of it.  On the other hand, my fingers and my soul craves something just a little more.  


I'm taking care of that.  This is a lovely washed Columbia half fleece.  I have not taken it out of the box yet  I haven't had a chance.  Too much work, but I intend to get it into the air fully this evening and this weekend, I intend to play with a few locks, and do a little bit of carding and maybe some spinning too.  

"We live in a moment in history, where change is so speeded up that we begin to see the present only when it is already disappearing"  (R.D. Laing)

 "When you are knitting socks and sweaters and scarves, you aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort.  You are holding back time.  You are preserving the simple unchanging act of handwork." (Stephanie Pearl McPhee)

You are assigning value to human effort. 

So much of what we do today is really just ether, the cloud, but you are left feeling that unless you adopt and adapt to this wild modern way, you will be left behind.  

I'm looking forward to that.  It will be quieter when I am spinning and knitting.

  




 

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I always loved Steph's comment about assigning a value to human effort. Not everyone sees it that way, but i love the one's that do!