Sunday 22 April 2012

Playing at the yarn store.

I did a favour for my favourite people at my best LYS, River City and worked Saturday and Sunday.  It was lovely to stop and talk with people and help them.  A very good time was had by all (though I can really only speak for me!)

Yes as I said, I was scoping out the store on Friday, preparing.  It really wasn't so much to plan the shopping, it was to get the lay of the land.  Things don't change all that much, but half the art of being a good retail associate is to know your stuff, know where it is, know what is in stock.  So I dug in baskets and poked in corners and just generally learned the lay of the land.

Saturday in the quiet moments, that is when I shopped.  I did well.  I did really well.  Well, in truth the store made out like a house on fire!  And so did I.

I did do a little prebuying.  I happeend to have some stuff come in just after I said yes to working the days. 

 
A full bag of Lanett, a good baby yarn, in a nice clear white.  I like to keep some plain stuff on hand.  You just never know when you need a little gift and I was down to just a few coloured balls.  Its also great for colourwork, for mittens and small projects.  Along with the Lanett was that lovely golden Eden from River City that I knit my friends shawl out of.  That was round one.

Round two was a lot of fun.  The 2 red balls in the picture above was part of round two.  We'll talk more about that later.

This was round 2.  Lots and lots of fun.  

The back creamy looking stuff is Wendy Happy in the softest prettiest colourway I have seen yet.  It reminded me of Bitterroot (Lewisia), with it's soft roses and gentle golden yellows.   I don't know what it will be but is mine and I will not share .

The green is two skeins of Malabrigo Lace. I have loved this stuff for some time, but I just never got around to getting any.  Yummy good.

Then in the center, the red, is more of the splendid Eden, colourway  
Temptation. Oh it is aptly named.  So absolutely perfectly named.  Sinfully delicious.

And the rust?  That pile of rust is a sweater quantity, or so I dearly hope, of one of my pet yarns.  It is something that is no longer made but I love it.  It never struck people fancy's here, too bad for them and very lucky for me.  I have used this a few times now and it is a really great yarn.  It is Elsebeth Lavold Angora.  12 skeins.  Sinfully good.  It will be a very simple cardigan, something with short sleeves, I think.  Its Angora.  I'm 50 ish...you get the picture.  Single button closure, short sleeves, just a nice simple top with one really over the top feature.     
This is Egret, a free pattern from Berroco's website.  That splendid reddish, but not really just red at all, ball of mohair, is going to be that long showy collar.  


See?  Match made in heaven.  I did look at Rowans matching Kidsilk haze, but the single ball of older stock in the store matched better than the newer stock and this just seemed a better way to go. Besides the little bit of variegation will look stunning.

Anyway, that took my wages for the weekend and more. I had fun and earned a little completely free yarn money leaving my yarn budget there to blow on that really nice Angora.  

At the end of it all, we had some pizza and beverage and then carried in all the boxes and baskets and display stuff from the show back into the store.  

If you want to see what RCY was up to this weekend and where they were, check out their facebook page.  Some great snaps, and you never know who wants to sit and knit for a while.  



  


2 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh so pretty! I love the idea of the sweeping collar in the variegated - subtle, but still a bit showy.
Perfect!

Brendaknits said...

That is a gorgeous sweater. I love those styles with one over the top feature to carry them off. And also love the hair rollers That brings back memories.