Tuesday 6 March 2012

Holden

Knitting on the sweater was bound to leave me wanting a little something else.  My son is a large tall man, and it takes a lot of stockinette to cover him.  I can knit about 4 hours with the yarn before I have to rest my hands or knit something else.

Since I had long lovely hours this weekend, I wanted to knit a little something else.  I thought it would be a break from the stockinette and the non stretchy yarn.  I did a little stash diving, and came across some yarn and I dug out the pattern and away I went.



The pattern is Holden and the yarn is Drops Lin.  Holden, if you have not knit it, is stockinette and the yarn is a pure absolutely non stretchy linen.  

I get away from those 2 things, by going even deeper into them.  Like most simple little laces, it is a very different experience than knitting a simple mans sweater and that seems to be enough.

I would like to say that Holden is a strikingly lovely pattern and I am enamored of this yarn.  It is slippery and shiny and crisp but is not hard-crisp as many other linens are.  It is a little softly spun, a little loose along the edges, and while those qualities might drive some batty, it sure works for me.  

I would be long done but for the fact that I had to re-knit one row in the first lace repeat 6 times before I realized the problem was not in the knitting(always my first assumption), it was not with the pattern(the usual second), but that it was that the knitter was reading the wrong row of the pattern.  I usually mark stuff like lace, but this lace is so simple, it is such a tiny chart, that I didn't think I needed it.  I did.  For a whole afternoon, I really did.

I know March is in its early days yet, but I think March already has a theme.  Re-knit.  I could be sad about that but what the heck. 

It is all very good yarn, and good yarn is just a possibility.  How could anybody be sad with all this possibility around her?

No comments: