Monday 12 March 2012

Another knitting weekend!

I got so much done this weekend.  Half a sleeve and the whole body of the sweater are done in the new gauge. I did a deep tidy of the Cascade 220 bin.  

It was past time to go digging in the Cascade bin.  A lot of the colours were assembled when I was trying to figure out Mr. Needles vest so there are a lot of grays, browns and walnuts and rusts.  I was thinking about the Cascade stash earlier this week.  I wondered if I had enough good things to combine to work up into a vest.  Not Mr. Needles colours, though I certainly could do that (heaven knows there is plenty left), but maybe there was something that was a little more me.  There is if I keep it simple.  It will be a target project for fall, a second colourwork vest. I already have one planned in blue and white, if you recall, though I hope to do that this summer.

When I was digging, I came across some other pretties too.  One of my Christmas goodies, some very delicious butter cream Mirasol Sulka.  

The moment I saw it, I knew exactly what it was meant to be.

The Bandana Cowl from Purl Soho.  It doesn't look like much here.  It is need of a good blocking before you really see how nice it is.  I used about 1 and a half skeins, and then sat down to do something sensible with the rest.
  
Then I made one of these.
Simple, basic mittens.  
With a wee bit of a purl pattern on the back of my hand.  

I always carry a couple spare pairs of glove s in my car in the winter.  You never know when you will need to warm up someones fingers.  My spares were gone but for one lone mitt and that one went missing in some time in February.  

So when I had a comfy cushy soft buttery yarn left over, I knew it too, had a predetermined fate.  It would make great mittens and would go into the emergency car supply.  

It might be odd to be doing this in the spring, but for a few things.
Its March, and March can get really ugly and its Canada.  Mitten weather is never all that far away.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I'm sitting at the cottage, in ridiculously warm spring weather, watching the ice melt. But I know there is more snow and freezes to come. SO I believe in knitting mittens now. And I always keep a couple of pairs in my car as well - it's a truly Canadian thing to do!
By the way, I'm sorry about the pounding that Ontario gave Alberta in the Brier final last night, but since I know the Ontario guys, I'm kind of not really sorry!