Thursday 26 January 2012

A linen collection?

A very long time ago, I was planning on knitting some very simple placemats and a table runner for my table.  I had a couple of colours of Louets Euroflax linen, a long gone colour called eggplant and a soft taupe.  I wasn't really sure about just how I wanted the placemats to look so the project never got started.  

And so it sat and seems to have given birth. Those 4 skeins have begat a fair number of other skeins of linen and they have given birth to more than one other linen blend yarn.

Oops and this one too.

In the first photo, the original eggplant Euroflax, a taupe Euroflax, silvery Punta Montoya Beach linen and right there in the center, a striking blend of linen and viscose, Lang Mikonos multi-colour.  The second photo is Elsebeth Lavold's Bamboucle, also a blend.  I think there might be another blend in the deep stash, but I can't for the life of me think what it is.  

I love linen.  I always have.  I have about 8 metres of a truly stunning long ago purchase of Belfast or Dublin linen from my embroidery days.  Somewhere around here is an old hankie that someone gave me, with a ratty hem, that long ago nuns edged and embroidered for a long forgotten priest.  

I have a bunch of linen from a foray to the fabric store when there just happened to be a good sale on linen. Summer skirts and casual shirts are the goal.  It isn't the fine delicate Belfast type linen, but a much sturdier sort of thing that will wear like iron but be soft and drapey and oh so grand.

I do love linen but then, if I want to be perfectly correct, I can't think of any animal or plant fibres I don't like.  There is a place in the world for acrylic too - just not for that slipper yarn by Phentex.  No that shouldn't be in this world.  

Oh all right, it can be in some peoples world but not mine.  My world is full of linen and other very good things.  

2 comments:

Sandra said...

you're nicer than I - I can't think of a reason ANY 100% acrylic yarn should be in the world - Red Heart gives me hives...
BUt I'm in total agreement about the linen - I live it in in the summer - capris, shirts, skirts. Noting better, wrinkles and all...

Brendaknits said...

Oh - what wonderful placemats you could make with those lovley nuetrals coupled with punches of those vibrant colour.