Monday 23 January 2012

Knitting, knitting, knitting

I spent an awful lot of time this weekend knitting.  I had really hoped to  move forward to the last colour, a rich creamy natural.  

However, no matter the number of hours that I knit, it wasn't enough.  The rows are getting really long and I have every confidence they will wrap around me just right...or almost just right.  If my goal was to have a sontag/ danish tie/wrap around me type shawl, I think I've got it.

I started at the neck with colour 1, a very dark charcoal gray.  I increased 6 stitches over 2 rows.  I increased at the center every 2nd row and on the sides every row.

Then after I was into colour 2, a slighty lighter warmer gray, I realized that it was getting plenty deep but wasn't nearly as wide as I needed.  So I started to increase two times on every 2nd row as well as the 6 increases already under construction.  In order to not have a second line of increase openings, I did a double yarn over on the purl side.  Increase total every 2 rows is 8 stitches.

When I slipped into the 3rd colour, I started to do that double yarn over on every row.  That brought the increases up to 10 over 2 rows and it is moving along at just the right pace for my short stumpy body.

I think that my extremely short bust to waist distance and my girth made working someone else's design less than correct for me.  Winging it is working.   I think.

It looks ok and seems to be doing what I want it to do, but in all honestly till it is off the needles, I really won't know what I have or if it will work.  



What I do know right now, is that the rows are getting really really really long and it is taking forever to knit a pair of rows.  

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm a big fan of winging it. I'm working on a sweater right now that I have high hopes for, but really, until I steek (which is a point of no return) I really won't know...

Anonymous said...

Ah, the colors are looking delightful. GD