Friday 11 November 2011

Remembrance Day

Every year at this time, I try to find something that adequately expresses this day of Remembrance. It does not want to be found so....

I do not like war.  I do not like fighting.  But I firmly believe that we must stand in defense of those who can no longer stand for themselves and sadly, sometimes, that means we send our sons and daughters off.  But this is really not the day to discuss that.

It is not a day to discuss if we should or should not join a conflict, not a day to discuss the right and wrong of it.  It is not a day to discuss the peace movement.

This is not the day for me to opine, to question, to rant or rave or even tell you how I feel about this these things.  I have every other day of the year to think and speak about those things.  

This is not my day.

This day is theirs and all they ask of me is that I remember them.



They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: 

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, 
We will remember them.


In war, there are no unwounded soldiers. (Jose Narosky)  

 so, I stand in remembrance of those who come home too.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I too, do not support war, but I support those who choose to help others.
I will be at my town's ceremony this morning, thniking of my Dad, my grandfather, my uncle.