Thursday 20 October 2011

Sneaking off

I'm sneaking off to town today but before I go I have some stuff to finish up.  I have a section to finish in my upgrading.  I have a couple of loads of laundry to deal with and I have to figure out what to knit when I go.  The first 2 are easy to do.  Just sit down and do it.  The last one, not so much.

I did move forward on the second sleeve. I didn't get nearly as much done here as I thought, but I did get a lot done in other things, so the balance is probably just right.  

The sensible thing to do is probably to keep working on this sweater and get the sleeve knit, but I don't think I can do it.  Even this simple pattern takes a fair bit of counting and it is very easy to get off track.  I don't like the idea of having to fix it all later.  

But...I do have that other sweater in the wings.  The Gray Remix is calling and starting work on that project might be just the thing.  Son 2 has chosen a Brownstone Pullover from Brooklyn Tweed.  It would be lovely if I could do it in Shelter, but  Son 2 is not a wool sort of guy.  He was, a very long time and about 5 feet ago, the sort of guy you had to cut the feet out of sleepers for.  So Remix it is.  

I have a swatch worked up.  
I have no idea what gauge is yet, but I do know which needle I am going to use.  The bottom small section of the swatch was done with 4.5 mm needles and the top with 4mm.  I'm going with the 4.  It is just right for this yarn.  The fabric is stable and soft and just about perfect.  There will be a little gauge hinkying around, I think.  I haven't counted it yet, but it seems just that wee bit smaller that is the difference between working out perfectly and needing tweaking.  I have a feeling it is close to 20 stitches per inch, rather than the 18 the pattern requires.  

I'm not worried about it.  It's a basic guy sweater.  I can gauge hinky in a straight body, no shaping sweater with my eyes closed.  

Big talk?  Yes.  Overconfident?  Yes and as we all know, Mother Kniture likes to bite back.  Hard.  As much as I would like to simply sit down and knit, I am going to take the time and do the math. Twice. Its worth the effort and the time. It might be a simple pattern,
 and it might be mostly stockinette, but a sweater is only as good as what goes into it.  I intend this one to be good.

I will be ready to start the sleeves when I sit down for coffee this morning but I am not going to rush it.  I'll be checking my gauge as I knit just to be sure. And to stay sure.  

Wish me luck.  Say a prayer to Mother Kniture.  It can't hurt.

3 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Leave those yarn swatches around. The yarn harlot is right, they can't hurt and they might appease her enough to let you get away with it, this time.

Sandra said...

Even getting gauge in the swatch is no guarantee! Measure as you go, just to make sure...

Brendaknits said...

The 4 looks much better. Hope you can control Mother Kniture!