Friday 20 May 2011

Farming

I say that with tongue in cheek, you know.  I'm not farming, nor do I intend to.  I did that and this is nothing like the scale farming requires, nothing like the comittment that farming requires, to bet once again on the season being fair.  Farming is not what this is.  This is play.

What I am doing is gardening.  And a lot of what I am going to be doing this weekend, has little to do with gardening, it has more to do with trees.

This weekend we are planting a bunch of trees that arrived this week.  Mostly fruit trees, and berry bushes,  raspberries, cherries, saskatoons, but there are alos a bunch of trees that we are moving from here over to the farm.  

Remember this?  
Not the big trees, the wee ones that pop up every time we turn around here. We never did get around to taking them out and then when the land happened last year, we decided to leave them and move them once we had things organized.  Things are organzed,  Mostly.  This weekend we are going to be moving them and a lot of other small seedlings.  Birch, hazelnut, the occasional small poplar.  These all have popped up in planters and in the mulched areas around here.  So the big move is happening this weekend.  

We missed the farmstead tree order this spring by a few weeks, but next year there will be some good old fashioned Northwest poplar, some laurel leaf willow,  different varieties of spruce.  While I crave the long views and plenty of sunlight, what a good sensible farmyard needs is a windbreak.    

This weekend I shall play arborist, but it is also time to get my flower pots planted here.  By Monday I should be ready to start the garden proper, so this next week or so, there will be plenty of garden, but little knitting.

The knitting I am doing is on the Shetland Shawl.  I am about 20 stitches from the second corner and am really looking forward to the turn.

Way back when , one of my quests was to explain the dirt between my toes.  Now I seek only to put more there.  This is a good thing.

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Being raised on a farm, I think it's true that you can take the girl off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the girl. I love to get out in the spring and get my hands - and toes -dirty. Have fun.