Thursday 6 January 2011

Nothing much and laundry

Yes, once again, I am sitting here with nothing much coming to mind but laundry.  

It used to be said,

Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday."

But that was long before modern conveniences were invented and some of the very heavy work women used to have to do to keep the household running disappeared.  I recall the look of exhaustion on the face of the lady of 'The 1900 House' fame when she talked about laundry and I am forever grateful to whoever invented the washing machine.  

To the very best of what I remember,even when I was very young, this was just a little ditty to embroider on tea towels.   I am absolutely positive that we cleaned on Saturday not Friday, because we all had to have our chores done before we could watch Roy Rogers which came on at 11:00 (IIRC), and I have a funny feeling that mom baked whenever she needed too.  When you were down to one loaf, you absolutely had to bake more. If your grocery money came from what you made off of the fresh cream sales to the local dairy, you certainly were not going to waste precious cash on something you could do better at home.

I really don't remember what moms schedule used to be.  I really ought to ask.  I only know that I personally do better when I have a schedule and on my internal clock, Thursdays are for laundry.  Thankfully, all the mod cons on this task are in my favour.  It is usually a day with a lot of time for knitting.  

See? Nothing much to say, but if you follow all the links where they may take you you could entertain yourself all day!

No comments: