Tuesday 16 November 2010

When Distracted

When I am distracted, I really ought to stay far away from wool.

Yesterday I knit about 3000 m of yarn.  I am making a blanket for my bed,a big warm blanket, simple rectangles of the basic natural tones of Lion Brand Fishermans Wool.

I was not sure if I would like this yarn.  I assembled it over several years.  It was a reason to go to the big box stores.   If there was no sock yarn I wanted, then I came home with this.  It is after all an incredible price and for a project of size, you do want an incredible price.  It isn't fancy, it is a wee bit coarse, but when knit up, I am  impressed with the fabric it makes.
No magic here.  It is a quickie machine knit.  I have two more rectangles to knit and then a border to add on, probably in crochet, to stabilise the whole thing and to help the edges lie straight.  

This isn't included in the Knit Metre totals on the side bar.  That is strictly hand knitting.  It would seem wrong, like cheating to add machine knitting to that.  They are after all 2 completely different sorts of things.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

funny - I have mixed feelings about my knitting machine - I know it;s still knitting, especially when I;m doing shaping, but I agree that it would seem wrong to add it to your (impressive) total.
I do love the idea of big rectangles of wool as a blanket.

Brendaknits said...

I wondered about being able to knit 3000 metres in one day. I'm glad to read it was the machine and not your hands - they would have been in splints at the end of that race.

Christine said...

Waaait a second - when did you get a knitting machine? Eager to hear more!