Thursday 5 August 2010

I didn't mean to do it.

Somewhere along the line, I developed a sense for cheap, a desire for a really good buy.  Man oh man do I love it when things feel like a bargain.  Even better is when they really are!  

But up until now, yarn accidents were a thing I read about in a book (Yarn Harlot Casts Off) and could giggle about and joke with my friends about.  Till now.

I have been playing the bag sales from Elann.com.  There just are some things they carry that have been exceptional deals, and there are often yarns that just are not available at the store.   If I tried, I could absolutely beat the quality of these yarns at work, but not even a really good employee program could beat the bag sale prices. 

So I admit it.  I scored a few bags, particularly a wool cotton blend from South Africa.  It really is a decent yarn and a blend that will work for me.  

There was one colour I **needed** and in a weak moment, under just a touch of duress from things not knitting, I caved.  I bought the red wool and cotton blend - 2 bags - even though I already have a nice yellow and a soft lichen green in the same yarn.  I went ahead and bought the red.  It's nice, and I completely understand why I have it in my hot little hands.  

What I don't get is why I have 2 bags of a deep royal purple 100% bamboo that knits to 28 stitches and 32 rows on a 3.00 mm needle.  I really have no idea what I was thinking.  I do have a vague memory of ordering it.  I know that I paid for it (I checked)  

I must have had at least an idea of what I was going to do with it.  I almost always do have at least a notion of what it will be.  I will know if I am buying for a sweater, or a wrap, or a mitten and hat. I don't really become interested in a yarn till I know what I would do with it.  Sometimes it happens fast, and sometimes it is a very slow process that starts with a 'gee, I like that yarn'.   The only time I have bought just to have some, was some Fleece Artist that was just too pretty to pass up.  But I remember every wonderful moment of buying that.   

But these 20 ball (20 balls) of deep Iris purple?  I have absolutely no idea.  A fingering weight gauge?  Whillickers.  And Bamboo?   Don't I already have 20 balls of a delicate blue Rowan Bamboo Tape in the stash for all my bamboo knitting needs?

I could return it I suppose.  Technically.  It would not be at all like me to do that, not with yarn, and well, there is this other thing.   

It's...ummm...it's bamboo. It's soft.  And yummy.  And it is here.


2 comments:

Mrs.Spit said...

You were expecting 15 boy babies in your family in the next year?

I'm sure it's lovely, and let's face it, it's not as if it is going to go to waste now, is it?

Sandra said...

bet it stays with you. I have yarn like that - lots of it, as a matter of fact. And I eventually find someting to go with it. One day, a pattern will come out that just screams for a bagful of iris purple bamboo. You just wait and see.