Monday 23 August 2010

How to fit it all in

I sometimes wonder how on earth I am going to fit all the things I want out of a day, into my day.  Today is an excellent example.

I need to clean my study.  I need to clean my laundry room.  I need to finish up all the laundry repair and fix a bunch of things to get ready for the fall.  I need to... Oh the heck with it.  The fact of the matter is that each of us has a list like this and most of us have to add 'got to get to work today' on top of that.  

But really I would rather sit and knit.  Honestly this sweater is hypnotic.  There have been a few minutes when I was panicking about whether it would fit.  I'm still worried, but right now I am having so much fun that it really doesn't matter if I have to redo it.  


Well, OK, it would matter if I would have to redo it.  It would suck, but if I had to, I would do it with an unusual amount of joy and pleasure.  The rhythm of colourwork is weaving its usual magic.   

The pattern is Freyja and I am deep into the colour work on the bodice of the sweater.  Aha, you say, Freyja has only the Icelandic roses on the bodice.  Well yes, but I have 3 colours of yarn, and I wanted to get them all in here.  Ah, you say, one yarn is gray and one is brown.  I know, but somehow it doesn't matter.  It looks exactly right in my eyes.  I love this yarn and love is blind. 

The stuff looked so pleasing on the shelf that I was sure there would be a way to use all three and add few extra touches of natural organic goodness.  There were 17 rows of plain knitting from the point the sleeves are joined before the roses rows, plenty of room to do just what I wanted.  I'm changing the collar, buttonband and bottom welts too, just to get a few more rows  of the colours in.     

Today I will watch Icelandic roses bloom, and if I am lucky the body will be more or less done and I will be able to try it on. 

And if I have a stiff upper lip and am stern  about my scheduled plans, the study will be tidied, the laundry will be done and the patching will be up to date too.

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

I wish I could say my patterned yoke sweater has been hypnotic. the Alpaca splits and is way to easy to 'slip' instead of knit.