Monday 19 July 2010

Pretty Blue Thing on Monday

The pretty blue thing is still looking pretty.  And blue.



It isn't quite ready for photos, but here it is, in it's mid knitting phase.

I am doing this one quite simply.  Top down, simultaneous set in sleeves a la Barbara Walker, cardigan, v neck, 3/4 sleeves.  

I could have had both sleeves finished, but I wanted to wait till I could try it on with the sort of things I will wear it with.  Never having done this kind of sleeve before, I wasn't sure how deep the armscye needed to be for a good fit.  I knew I wanted it more fitted than both red sweaters, but I didn't want it to look like I was being pulled up by the armpits.  

Fitting...fitting...

The jury (a good mirror) is telling me I'm going to have to renovate.  It looks good (a 10 on the thrilled and tickled o-meter), but it isn't quite right.  The sleeves fit OK, but they don't quite have the look I wanted.  Walker recommends adding one stitch on every other round at each sleeve edge but my upper arms didn't get that memo.  I will have to vary the number to get a nice rounded sleeve top for a good fit.  It will look much better if I start with a few more stitches at cap of the sleeves too.  

So, back to the beginning, but that is OK in every way.    

See in the upper right hand of the photo?  See that little ridge that seems to stand up in one place?  It is a row of way out of whack gauge knitting from the provisional cast on. I didn't notice it till I was a few rows down. Heinous looking.   I thought I would fix that later.  Now I don't have to.  

Things I have learned so far with this sweater:  a really good fast provisional cast on which I would not have figured out without LizChristine's double knitting class, and how a simultaneous set in sleeve works.  

It was a very good weekend.

No comments: