Monday 21 June 2010

Like a lot of weekends

This one was a weekend of endings and beginnings...with a little working on other stuff in between.

So endings.  

These are simple plain socks but it has been a while since I enjoyed something more. They match exactly.  Right down to the colour on the cast off edge.  Once I realized that, half the fun was just watching them work up, knowing perfctly well that within 3 more rows, I was going to switch colours.  Bigtime fun.  

I know.  I live a small life.

With room in the sock rotation, I began another pair of socks.  

Wait a minute.  Is that pattern?  Yes it is.  This is the famous monkey socks.  Everyone in the world has knit monkey socks.  Or at least everyone of the people in my knitting group has.  I think.  Every single person who has knit them says they are the nicest things to knit.  Most of them have knit second and third pairs.  Many of them consider the monkey their basic sock.  


I now understand why.  Hypnotic little thing.  I started about 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon, knit till dinner and am onto the 4th repeat.     

Saturday afternoon as consolation to something bad, but only knitting bad, that was happening, I started an Onerva Shawl,  Onervahuivi in Finnish. 


Not nearly so many people have knit this shawl as the Monkey sock, but they should.  Strikingly hypnotic. Easily memorised.  Delicate looking but oh so simple to execute. 


All in all it was a very good knitting weekend. I could use a lot more of those.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I love the socks. Kudos for the match up. And the shawl looks stunning. Easily memorized is my type of lace.

Jenny @ Crimson Orchid Designs said...

The socks are gorgeous... I love the yarn!

Sandra said...

I have not yet knit monkey socks. I really should...