Thursday 17 June 2010

The comfort of socks.

Handknit socks are so many things to me.  I really ought to have put up a tag 'Socks' when I began the blog so many months ago so I could see all the things I have already said about socks without repeating myself, ad nauseum.    They were my beginning in the knitting world and who knows, they may yet be my ending.  But not yet.  

How is one to express how much comfort, safety, consolation, joy,   challenge, exuberance and simple pleasure there is in the knitting of socks.  I know I am not the only one who feels this way.  There are so many good books about knitting socks, such interesting sock yarns, so many different techniques to be learned in the knitting of socks, that I am sure that non sock knitters exposed to the full scope of sock knittings mighty and massive range, would assume we are all nuts.   

After a big challenge, after a project that consumed me the last 2 weeks, there is nothing so wonderful as sitting back and knitting for a while on simple socks. The simple motion repeated over and over, its hypnotic rhythm, soothes and eases my weary soul.  

A plain sock is all I knit on yesterday. It felt very good.

2 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

No arguments here. I adore a nice pair of socks knit in my standard configuration. A great way to spend 18 hours.

comfort finds said...

Wonderful Post! I think you should write more on this topic. Keep up the good writing.