Friday 14 May 2010

A good day

Thursday was a lovely day.  I had errands.  I wanted to stop at the greenhouse.  I had interesting things to pick up.  I was running early.

I'm not sure which of these things was best, but there was that part where I was running ahead.  Yeah, that was probably it.  It just doesn't happen that often.  

I had an hour to kill and I was near my favourite Salvation Army store.  It is a small store with special things in it. I love stopping there.  There is always something of interest to see, to think about, to buy.

They have a wonderful book selection.  I found a boxed set of books, paperbacks, with selections from Euripides and Plato to Melville and Einstein.  For 2 bucks.  That my friends, is a patented cheap me find.

I've always loved finding things of good value.  I watch fairly carefully and old has to be special or something interesting before I will purchase it.  This isn't old but I'm pretty sure there will be 2 bucks of interesting reading in that box.  

With one really good buy under my belt and my spidey senses tingling, when I saw something interesting across the room, I could not resist.  

On a side table, looking forlorn and dingy, was a tea set.  Pot, creamer, sugar and tray.  It is a nice little tea set.  Not expensive, just nice.  It was all grimy and blackish and dingy as only silver can be. 

It isn't collector sort of silver and it isn't the kind of thing that is going to show up at estate sales.  No, this is the sort of inexpensive silver plate that shows up at garage sales and new to you stores in a dingy sorry looking state.   But it was a silver tea set.  

There is something about a silver tea set that just makes me want to wear red and bring out fancy tea cups.  I would only serve the finest of teas and crumpets with raspberry jam and clotted cream. I would hold my pinkie finger in the air while sipping.  I would probably be reading Plato, or knitting with the finest of Shetland wools. A silver tea set is an adventure, through space and time and silliness.       

All my sweet silver set needed was a little bit of elbow grease.  
So elbow grease it was.  It looks reasonably decent.  For 14 bucks, I think it is a pretty good deal.  

Today's full purchase was 22 dollars.  I got something kind of nice, something really interesting, did it without creating more waste plus I get to give to a cause that does really good work. 

It was a really nice day.

PS.  It is my oldest sons birthday today.  Many Happy Happy Birthdays, son 1.  30 years, old man.  Where have they gone?

3 comments:

Knitting Alchemist said...

Lovely tea set. And what an interesting background you photographed it in front of.

Sandra said...

great find and a great place to spend money.
ANd happy Birthday to the boy - although not really a boy any more...

Brendaknits said...

One person' junk is another's treasure. My silver tea service sits in a box in storage. Great knitting minds think alike - sel&poivre mentions skirt knitting today and I have long been interested in knitting a skirt. Can't wait to see yours.