Wednesday 15 July 2009

Second go Round

Early yesterday morning, I worked another couple of rows on the mystery shawl KAL, but soon enough, the lace knitting wore me out. I felt a decided lack of interest in my socks but I did pick them up and knit for a while. I've almost got the full length of the foot done on red sock one. That little slip stitch trick from one of the ladies at knitting is working marvelously well but much as I like socks, I was done with them for the day, if you know what I mean. I needed something to keep me going the rest of the day.

I took a quick trip to the stash, and came away with a yarn I dyed last summer. It's like a lady slipper. Brilliant copper, rich hot pink, and a little of both in between.I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I found some needles that would work for a generic something. Packed last and on top of the bag. When I sat down at knitting, I pulled it out and as I took the needles, I knew what I was aiming for.

Perhaps in the time it took to drive to town, in the dark and cavernous space that is my brain, yarn and pattern parked beside each other. I don't really understand a lot of things that go on in there, but whatever strange thing it is, it worked.

I like the backside as much as the front. I love the Eye of Partridge Shawls simplicity and the delicate way it deals with colour. And I love that for its size, it is a speedy knit. Slipping every second stitch becomes so rhythmic. Simple music to be sure, but good none the less and just right for the rich and shocking palette of this hand dyed laceweight.

I like reading books a second time. The best books deserve a third and fourth and sometimes even a fifth go round. The best movies can be watched many times before they loose their sheen. Some things, like the Laura Ingalls Wilder books have not lost their sheen in the 40 years that I have been reading them, and we've been through 3 tape and CD sets of the Star Wars saga. It is exactly the the same with knitting I suspect. The BSJ will always be and interesting knit and I suspect that this little pattern is going to be too.

Things worth doing deserve a second look and good things just keep getting better with age.


1 comment:

Sigrun said...

i wish i could choose to knit for a whole day. I don't know if I could if I had the choice, but i'd like the choice. Nice color.
I read the beginning of a book (novels only) enough till I get a feel for the characters and the situation they are dealing with. Then I read the last chapter. In my estimation, the good authors make me want to read the in-between.