Wednesday 22 July 2009

New Baby Things

I've been knitting in the dining room for the last while. This is leading to a huge (humongous, mountain) pile of things upstairs that for all intents and purposes really ought to be downstairs. I'm not really content with this, , but knitting in the dining room has one splendid benefit. On a sunny day, just as the sun crests over the trees, it comes right in the east window and makes certain yarns shine.
I was working on the shawl KAL (knit along) yesterday, the sun shone and the entire room filled with the magic of some pretty garnet coloured yarn. You don't have to be a gemstone to flash.

I spent a lovely day off knitting with some of the most inspiring knitters and then took a little trip to River City's new south side store.

Oh my what an elegant space. They have done some things with their displays that are absolutely striking. Towards the back they have the stock of animal and bast fibres. Brilliant garlands of colours, flowing down the racks. Its absolutely marvelous. These rivers of colour skirt a large classroom and work area. The yarn is along the walls of the store in the best storage for yarn, a standard cube, but like everything else at River City, its a magical display. The ribbon yarns display is really a sight to behold. Down the centre of the store there are elegant little displays of yarn and pattern, and some seriously fine spots to stop and read, or just to sit and take in the sights.

I didn't really have a goal, but I did get the chance to visit some of the yarns that are no longer in the north store. I visited a little with the Garn Studio Alpaca (I miss you). I stopped and played with the Silk Tweed. I also spied what will be one of the feature yarns of the new store, Mission Falls 136.

I've been wanting to try this yarn for a long while. It is superwash, just like its big brother 1824 Wool. It has the same rich colour palette. It is just the right thing for the next new baby on the way. One of my favourite nieces is due in mid September and this young lady really deserves something special. A real heart of gold kind of girl.

136's colours are stunning. Grouped together for display at the store, you can just about see the project taking shape right in front of you. though it doesn't look it, there is a green cast to these taupes and creams. That darkest colour really is a green (though it is a very brown earthy sort of green). There will be a Baby Surprise Jacket, I think. But a little more. I have plenty of yarn to do a nice blanket too. There is an interesting one in Opinionated Knitter.

Then again, I might knit for baby's first spring. I have a little time to think about it yet. For now I will sit back, consider the yarn, and just revel in the possibilities of knitting.

No comments: