Thursday 25 June 2009

Spinning

I've been thinking hard on spinning lately. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why my knitting has been happening in fits and starts. My mind isn't in it.

I've been looking for a while for a new wheel, a good sturdy solid wheel. I've had several adventures related to looking at wheels, but I haven't had much opportunity to sit down and try them out. I'm feeling a little time pressure because some of the wheels I'm looking at have a huge discount on fibre to the end of July, and wouldn't that be nice if I go with those wheels.

I have looked hard at all sorts of wheels, read tons and tons of reviews and you know what I have found? Some people dislike certain wheels, and some people love those same wheels, but no one ever says anything is a really bad wheel. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of the wheels on the market today are pretty darn good.

So I've narrowed my choices down to the Louet wheels, again in large part for the fibre coupon. Its 200 dollars if I buy before the end of July, and that is just too good a deal to pass up.

I've decided to try a flyer lead wheel this time (my Babe is bobbin lead), so that narrows the choice further. Louet wheels are well known for being good solid bobbin lead wheels but two of their newest wheels are flyer leads. Louet's delightful little Victoria is a wonderful wheel and the other option is the Julia, a less portable model. Each has a lot of the features I am looking for.

It is possible that my wheel decision will come down to what is avaiable, but it will be one of these two. And today is the day.

Gotta go. I have a wheel to order!

1 comment:

Sigrun said...

I've been curious about spinning, too. Could I ride on your coattails and learn from your experiences? How can I find out if I'd like it or not? I'm sure the first efforts will be far from satisfactory, so that won't be the test of the matter. How do you try it without investing the money? (I just heard myself think about coming to your house and trying yours out. That's not what I started to say here, but it makes sense). You can e-mail me at jonesmom@primus.ca and I can send you my phone # and we could chat about your experiences with spinning.