Wednesday 24 June 2009

I love i-cord

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it before, but I love i-cord. If there were a club out there called Idiots For I-cord, I would be be a charter member.

Some knitters find it a little boring. Some class it with busy work (all those little things that need to get done, but take a lot of time to make things right in the end). Some of us call it sublime. I like the rhythm I get when I am making an i-cord. One, two, three, two together, slip 4, one, two, three, two together, slip 4. When an i-cord is done with just the right tension, it makes just the neatest wee little round tube. Every stitch just sits precisely so, tidy, with the beginnings and ends of rows lost into perfect symmetry.

It is a lovely, though slightly complicated cast on. There are all sorts of reasons to use it for starting a project. It's such an even neat, well laid out little edge, the perfect start for delicate lacy designs. Plus it is just the most delicious cast off ever designed.

That is where I am right now. Casting off. See how well it finishes things? It is all precisely just so.

Little perfections ** fascinate me.

**The idea of an i-cord bind off, not necessarily the execution thereof.


1 comment:

Sigrun said...

Your title sure caught my attention, because i do NOT love I'cords (as you later sensibly explained, the execution thereof), but you're totally right on the finall wonderful effects of that type of edging.