Tuesday 30 June 2009

Ah, morning

Having said that I sleep in lately, I woke just a little earlier today but I lay in bed for a long time just listening to the birds. The sweetest songs in all the world are sung by early morning birds.

The big long projects, particularly the ones which are really interesting to work on are not providing much blog fodder. The hit and miss, blow by blow of this blog might go on a little while longer.

There has been knitting here. Last night I pulled out a bag that went camping with us a few weeks ago. There was untouched sock yarn in really appealing colours in it, a wee proto scarf project (the scarf is hardly one lace repeat long, so I don't think it qualifies as a full scarf yet), and a couple of dishcloths. Ends needed weaving on two of the dishcloths and one needed to be finished. My evening knitting was finishing them.

I'm not much one for cutesey kitchen things. I don't do towel toppers, I don't knit wee things to hide my appliances, but even I know the value of a good dishcloth. Knitted or crocheted, there is nothing so good as a good cotton dishcloth. I haven't made any fancy ones, nor am I likely too. It just isn't me, but I do use them as samplers when I am trying to figure out a lace pattern and you can make really nice dishcloths when you feel like playing around with an idea. Otherwise it is the good old plain dishcloth that tickles my fancy. That doesn't mean they are plain though.


I let the colour do the talking.

And just in case anyone doubts that there are things in my life other than knitting, I submit this.
OK, I didn't do this, but Mr. Needles did. Isn't it stunning? The wall is made of repurposed concrete. It used to be under the front decking, and it came out when we fixed the upper deck a couple years ago. He broke it up with the Bobcats concrete breaker, and built one wall with it last year and finished this year. There still is lawn to put in, and a lot of other details, moving of plants to properly fill the improved flower bed, weeding of weeds. A yard is a never ending cycle of chores, after all, but I could look at the view from my kitchen window all day.

Well, I'd actually look at it from the dining room (its where I have been knitting lately) but it sure looks nice.

3 comments:

Sigrun said...

Something is funny here. There must be a balance of sleeping here. You got up earlier, I slept in longer than usual. I like the wall--I mean I REALLY like the wall. I know what you mean about having a yard. I love my yard, and I love my knitting, but I can't seem to find a happy balance of how to spend my time so both get done.

dmd said...

Very nice wall, blends in nicely with the surroundings.

Linda said...

I too, knit those plain and simple dishcloths. I always have a ball to two of cotton yarn in a bag and pick it up whenever I'm in between projects or want a 'no brainer' project to work on.