Thursday 9 April 2009

With a Little Slothfullness On the Side.

Sloth could be an aversion to work or an avoidance of work. It could be laziness, and it could be a very slow moving South American animal.

In my case, I mean to say I am reluctant to commit myself, I am disinclined to stick to one thing, I avoid my work because there are other things to do.

I'm a little tired of my sweater, my scarf and my current socks. I have no problem ignoring a bunch of noisy things I ought to finish on the work in progress pile (growing at a fantastic rate) . I can leave the dishes and the laundry till the cows come home. (I don't own any cows, so it will be a while)

What I just can't ignore any longer is Knitted Lace of Estonia (local to Edmonton, River City Yarns has a couple copies)and the Lehe Square shawl pattern. And the Punta Mericash yarn.

I was dreaming of these things. I'm not sure what it means when you dream of yarn and pattern when you sleep but clearly, this yarn, pattern and I are destined to meet sooner rather than later. This mornings work has been to wind yarn. As you can see, it is on the swift, but not the ball winder.

This yarn is so delicate, so light, that I just feel it needs a little gentler handling than my ball winder will do. It is so soft, it feels as if pulling with any tension at all is going to harm this lovely and delicate thing. It isn't though. I've tried a little strength test on the end of it, and while it looks and feels like angels wings, it isn't going to fall apart anytime soon. It could be done on the ball winder, but it isn't the way I prefer to handle it.


Besides, the ball winder is buried under a bunch of yarn...I think. It is missing somewhere in the middle of the cleaning and tidying the study detritus (fixing this is much more important than dishes or laundry and I will attend to it today) and I could not see it in the early morning light.


Sometimes, there is a good reason to go a little slower, do it a little more manually. It gives me more than the usual time handling this and seriously, any time spent playing with this wonderful purple is time well wasted.


My motto.

And that is exactly what I am going to do today.

Updated:

I started knitting just after I posted earlier. I cannot tell you enough how luscious this yarn is. Wait till you see some pictures. Here's hoping the pictures will look even half as good as it does in front of me.

No comments: