Tuesday 28 April 2009

This is a ridiculous country

Canadians are famous for discussing the weather. Or perhaps it is farmers who are famous for discussing the weather. Or maybe Canadian farmers? Whatever.

Our weather has been ridiculous this spring. Yesterday was a prime example. In the morning, following the previous days icy rainy snow fest, my car was covered in a fine sheet of ice, not enough to cause problems, but enough that I really had to work to open the car door. 32 seconds of heat on the window melted everything.

The afternoon weather progressed from heavy gray clouds to sleet to soft pellets that smashed into a pile of slush when they hit the ground. Then came hard little snow pellets (different looking than sleet and other rain pellets), to ordinary very fine snow, to big white flakes. There were times in the afternoon where it was coming down so heavy that with a wind, it would have been unsafe to travel.


And then the sun came out. It only shone for about a half an hour, but even though the air temps were chilly, the sun shining meant that I had to turn down the heat setting in my car immediately on getting in, or risk being baked to something tender and juicy before I realized how hot it was inside.

My husband heard that we should be up to 20 C by Sunday. This morning, they (weather people) say it will be warmer, but only mid teens.


I feel for things that can't get inside. I am sure I saw tender little pussy willows begging to be let back into the branch just yesterday while I was driving to work. Sunday I could hear the cranes doing their spring migration, but we could not see them fly. They probably are walking this year. Too cold to fly. The geese are looking at all the wee small ponds (dry besides having icky weather) and are arguing about who the heck said they should stop in Alberta this year. Wee little robins fly around sluggishly. Seriously, so would you if you had to hold the bun in your oven any longer. I'm going to put out some yarn bits and pieces, maybe some fleece bits. They are going to need something soft to line their nests and there is just nothing around.


I give up. I have no idea how to dress anymore. Not for inside weather or outside weather. I tell you though, I am going to put a few things back into the car.


Spring coat and winter coat? Check.
Gloves hats and mitts? Check.
Heavy Big Fabel socks? Check.
Long Johns? Check.
Extra warm winter mukluk type boots? Check.

And I don't think I'm taking these things out of the car till late July, unless I am wearing them of course. It may well be that putting these things back into the car is the only way to get even a semblance of decent weather.

One day, even in this chilly silly weather country, the leaves will pop, and the sun will shine enough that the grass will green and the dandelions will bloom, but till then, this is just a ridiculous country.


No comments: