Friday 17 April 2009

"Stuck in the middle with you..

Here I am....'

Still in the middle. No exciting pictures, no snow falls (no melt either). No new yarn.

I'm in the middle of the scarf, in the middle of the second sock (you can get a lot of knitting done when you get a tire changed)in the middle of the shawl, in the middle of the sweater. In the middle on so many things.

Middles can be a little less than inspiring when everything is in the middle but I keep myself going by imagining the finishing. When you get to a middle, you can start to feel the end. Up till now it was just a hope you had, but once you are in the middle, you can see enough of it to get a real sense of what the finished project is going to look like.

Take the scarf for instance. When I try it on, its just a little more than half than half the length I want. I'm across the back of my neck in its unblocked state, so on blocking, it ought to be just down onto my second shoulder. I have mixed feelings about the colours. They are so different than what I usually wear, so much more brown toned than I am used to. I know they will look great with my teal jacket and they are doing the most interesting striping all the way down. They took me out of a funk and stale feeling. For this last alone, this scarf will be loved.

I'm looking forward to wearing this scarf for one reason beyond all the others. This scarf is going to remind me that different is good. Stepping beyond boundaries is good, trying something you haven't done before is very good. Looking forward makes the middle shorter.

I expect to finish this scarf soon, the socks really are coming along nicely, and the sweater is looking great even if I have to undo 8 rows (I mixed up a pattern stitch) and the shawl is still a knitters dream.

All in all middles are wonderful places.