Wednesday 15 April 2009

Mooshable Squooshable Yarns

Now where was I?

Ah yes. Squooshable yarns.

I'm not working on my lovely shawl today. It really demands more attention and awaklefulness than the early morning hours bring me, so I picked up the nice farmer socks I've got on the go, and am working on them. (and dishcloths, and the scarf and...)

Brings me to the subject of yarns I love to work with. Yarns with a mooshy squooshy sort of feel inspire me to great socks. I really am enjoying the Zitron Lifestyle, a seriously fine moosy squooshy yarn. Two sets of needles. I don't want to put the cuffs on till I am sure they are the exact same length and that I have every bit of this really great yarn used up. I always enjoy working with the turquoise Cool Wool 2000. (Lots of yarn here for heels, and cuffs. Not even going to think about worrying about it)


(left to right) red - Scheepjes Donna, fuschia pink - GGH Maxima, golden - Cara
handpainted - Mirasol Hacho, turquoise - Cool Wool 2000

I started thinking about the yarns I have in my stash that have these qualities, and realized its way beyond socks. I like this sort of feeling in a yarn no matter what kind of project I intend it to be for. I don't much worry about the fibres it is made out of either, so long as it has this lovely lofty bouncy feel.

There seems to be two things going on with all of these yarns. In part, it is due to how it is spun, and in part, due to these being all plied yarns. There are probably other reasons that these yarns feel the same, and a more technical person would know these things without a doubt. I'm going by instinct and feel, because that is after all, where it all begins and ends for me. The feel of a yarn in my hands.

Its an entire class of yarns, the bouncy, squooshable class, and there just doesn't seem to be an end to them coming across my radar any time soon.

red - Colinette Jitterbug, Multi - Australian Merino

I'm absolutely thrilled to see Australian Merino back in Canada. It was my first brush with this kind of yarn and I have been wishing for another chance at this brand for a long while. It was previously distributed in North America by the now gone Needful yarns, but has been picked up by another supplier. So its back, and I can rejoice.

The Colinette is in there just because it is too pretty to not include. That and well, it is a mooshable squoosable yarn.

No comments: