Tuesday 30 September 2008

Babies all over the place

My niece had twin boys just the other day and a nephew and his wife are due in late October and a very good friend is going to be a grandma for the first time in early November. (or is my nephew in November and my friend's daughter in October)

It seems like babies are leaking out all over the place. Like all babies this 'batch' is going to charm the pants off anyone who meets them, and I have decided I am going to make something for all of them. In my usual fashion I have probably gone overboard. I have enough yarn for a fleet of babies, a flotilla of babies.

For the wee boys already arrived, I am going to make little sleeping bags. The bags will be a white crumpled griddle stitch pattern with stripes of fair isle like patterns in a vibrant green, turquoise and purple. There may be some yellow too. We shall see. I'm going to use one of the fair isle like patterns used in the sweaters in Jane Snedden Peever's More Crocheted Aran Sweaters.

Jane has done a wonderful job of translating a way of thinking into crochet, in this case using narrow bands of colour and stitch designs to advantage. The design I am going to use is a 4 colour design, that seems to make little star shapes across the work. If I end up using 5 colours, I'll alternate white and yellow based pattern sections (there will be at least 3 pattern repeats of colour).

There are times when it is nice to know that the baby can't kick off his blankets and the little sleeping bags work really well. In addition, considering the amount of yarn I have, there will probably be knitted sweaters. Something simple, like the kimono sweater pattern, I think. If there is still enough yarn, they are getting hats and socks too. There is a possibility that their big brothers will be getting mittens in coordinating colours. Did I mention I have a lot of yarn?

The later arrivals, who are said to be girls, are going to start with these colours. This is the yarn for their sweaters, but they will also get the little sleeping bags with trims in pink, yellow and purple (or green, depending on what I have in stock at the time.)

I am still working on SS sweater, and I have socks ongoing constantly, but all fall I have been waiting to find out if these first two little ones were boy or girl.

Its nice to finally be going in the right direction.

No comments: