Monday 23 June 2008

Murphy's coincidences

We have all heard of Murphy's Law, and the Peter Principle. And then there are those odd little coincidences that happen in life, like the day you wash your car, it will rain.


I have been enjoying the new clothes line a lot. There is something about hanging clothes on a clothes line which forces this mad rush of a world to slow down. Its not like tossing things in the dryer. It is important to hang them right. First, give them a good shake, then find the proper edges, shoulders of shirts, legs of pants, so that when dry, the clothes are ready to fold. Each corner needs a clip so in the end, each article hangs with its own particular sort of grace, waving softly in whatever small breezes come by. When the clothes are dry, I take them down slowly, folding as I go, inhaling the crisp freshness. The whole operation is a reminder of a simpler slower paced time of life.


Another thing I have found about clothes on the line, is that they attract rain faster then a clean car on a sunny day. This led to my rediscovery of the housewife's mad dash for the clothes on the line, and why we came to love clothes dryers.


Besides contemplating the wonders of laundry, I did a fair bit of knitting. I finished the second Picovoli cardigan sleeve, and am well along on the bottom. One ball of yarn is left, and I have about an inch left to go. It should finish up just right.


I finished the little scarf I have been working on. One skein of 100% Silk from Estelle ciombined with

the feather and fan pattern, make a charming shortie scarf. This one still needs blocking and then to the gift pile.

And last but not least, Prototype one of the Brides bag.

Knitting and assembling went about right once I stopped trying to add beads. It seems beads are a thing which I am not ready for yet. Or they hate me. A smarter person than I would work this in the round. This is worked flat and crocheted together. Crocheted seams give the bag crisp edges without the benefit of blocking.

I will make some changes to the version I make during the wedding. I am going to begin the bottom with several rows of garter stitch, just to set off a bottom section, and I am going to do another row of eyelets for the tie to run through. The current 2 rows are not balanced. Along the top, where there is one row of eyelets, I am going to do 3 rows or maybe more. I'd like the bag to look soft and dainty along the top, and this one is just a little too firm. If there is anything I am not pleased with on this prototype, it is that I used needles that were too small.

Using the Silkdream yarn is wonderful. I can just imagine...

Stop that. You know you don't have any budget left.

But for those of you who have some yarn budget left, and who are in the market for a very nice little summer top for weddings and special gatherings, do check out this very nice yarn. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

It's a lovely bag, and a wonderful idea. Don't worry about the beads - one day, you'll just GET IT. I had the toughest time at first with them, and now, it's no biggie!

Anonymous said...

The bag is lovely. I'd never have the nerve to knit something in a few hours - talk about pressure! I like the idea of it, though, and I'm sure you will do beautifully.

I'm in washcloth mode now. I've been so stressed at work, on call a lot. I can't deal with lace at the moment. So I'm making some washcloths for a charity donation, trying different patterns and yarns. Very soothing, and I hope they'll be useful for someone who needs something.

mostlylurking