Friday 20 June 2008

Inspiration

I have 3 family weddings to go through this year. The first two are mere weeks apart and I admit, this is not the side of the family where my knitting at the reception is going to be very well accepted. I am going to knit anyway. In order to make my knitting more correct, I will not knit socks or anything ordinary.

I am going to make a 'Bride's bag', a small, simple little momento bag that can be knit in the 3 to 4 hours of the reception, and the other moments during the day when there is just nothing much happening. I hope to be able to complete the bag and give it to the bride at the end of the evening, each stitch filled with the good cheer of the celebration of her marriage vows.

Its going to be knit with beads running along the bottom of the bag, and a few beads at feature points (Lace or no lace? That is the question.). I'll have to prepare the beads before the wedding, and may have to have to bottom beaded section complete (the pearl drop row) before the evening begins. The lining has to be designed so that I can knit it to the bag (likely with small loops crocheted along the open edge that I can knit into) as the work progresses, so that the entire bag is finished, and perfect in one short sitting.

To that end I have chosen the loveliest of not too small silk and merinos and coordinating beads. {Insert photo here}

Which I would, if only this camera could transfer the data to the computer or the printers card slot would allow me to save it to my computer. harrumph

I will make a prototype one with some similiar size stash yarn, and silvery beads and drops. I can practise and design wihtout mangling the good yarn. I want to save the good yarn for protype two for the 'time trials'

For prototype 2, I am going to use Lang Silkdream in shade 97, the loveliest shade of soft green. I found coordinating glass beads for the yarn, and the beads are the same as I plan to use for the brides version.

The brides version will also be knit with Lang Silkdream, but in the cream colour, and warm, rich, creamy pearl drops.

So there is much to do this weekend. Much knitting that needs to happen between then and now. But I have a plan and a plan is a good thing.

3 comments:

Knitting Alchemist said...

I have a wedding next weekend, but I don't think I'm talented enough to pull a bride bag off in that short time. Can't wait to see pics of yours though...

Sandra said...

ooo, sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Logan said...

What a great idea! You're such a loving and generous relative. I hope your efforts are appreciated.

I've knitted with Lang Silkdream, and loved it - gorgeous stuff. You'll need big honking beads, though. And if the wedding reception is hot (as they usually are during summer weddings), remember to bring wet wipes or equivalent to keep the sticky to a minimum for working with the wool / silk blend.

Jeesh, I'm just full of orders today. Final order - ignore me. I'm a putz.