Thursday 15 May 2008

Work as Play

I mentioned last week that I have a new job. In a yarn store. Have I mentioned how much fun this is? No? Well, let me tell you.

In my old job, first thing was to get coffee. That life sustaining liquid gave me the ability to get through the rest of the day. Some days I never got much past the coffee pot ( should have been a sign), but most of the rest of the day was reading numbers, counting numbers, and talking to people about existing numbers or about developing new numbers. I never really liked numbers a whole lot, but I loved the people I worked with, and I loved the endless opportunities for growing. As an answer to a quest for knowledge, it was great, but it was after all just numbers.

My new job is very different. I am working in a yarn store, where the first thing you do is play with yarn, and then you play with more yarn, and oh yeah, did I mention, then you play with more yarn? I never even thought about coffee.


I tried very hard to work with the yarns, to do all the things that have to happen in a yarn store, like pricing, restocking, finding yarn for people, taking calls and messages. I'm pretty sure I did some of those things. I do recall being asked to price some new yarn, and I think I did it right, but I confess I don't recall that clearly. I remember everything about the yarn though.

When I first opened the box yesterday, I picked out the warm earthy rust red skein as my personal choice. That lasted only minutes till I opened up the pack with the soft greens and tans. And the other one with the soft ivories and greens, And the other one with the soft bluey blacks (or is it blacky blues) that just drew you into their rich depths. Sigh.

Each bag was something to swoon over, and by the end there were no winners. I couldn't have picked a personal favourite colour for my life.

In the afternoon, I played with more yarn. I'd tell you about it, but I think I have to go lay down now. Just thinking about that lace weight...I'm going to swoon.



2 comments:

Sandra said...

wow. just... wow.
If I spend a few more years with my numbers, can I come and play with yarn, too?

Karen said...

What an amazing job! How jealous am I????