Wednesday 14 May 2008

Matching yarn to needles

The last while at knitting group some of our conversation was about what size needles do we use for socks. Group knitters use needles between size 2.5 mm to a size 2 mm for the average sock yarn. They seem to knit to a specific gauge.

Here are some of the sock yarns that I have on my needles right now. Left to right, we'll call them 1 to 4.At first glance they look too close in size to tell apart, but the 4 pictured yarns, felt extremely different as they ran through my hands. Kroy sock yarn is fat and fluffy, Trekking is fine and strong, Fixation is stretchy, and the Fabel feels...well like really good sock yarn (I can't seem to get past its long colour changes, and brilliant shades for descriptions).

Kroy sock yarn (4), is too tight on 2.5 mm needles. The yarn loses all its squooshy goodness, and what the heck good is a sock without squooshy goodness? Kroy, I work on 3 mm needles.

Cascade Fixation (2) is labeled with the very unclear notation of '4,5'. I tried a few different sizes and used what felt right, a 3.75 mm needles (a US 5 it seems). That produced the best feeling fabric.

The Fabel socks (3), are being worked on 2.25 mm needles, and the most recent acquisition, some Trekking XXL (1) (I love the orange in this) is being worked on 2 mm needles, because it was what I could find fast for use in last weeks sock class.

I use this variety of needles because it feels right. Other people may stick more closely to one size because that is what feels right to them and by working to the same gauge, they don't even have to think about when to start and stop increasing or decreasing. Their socks will always be the same size in a basic fingering weight yarn. Everyone says smaller needles are better, that small needles produce a tougher wearing, sturdier sock. This is probably true and a wise knitter heeds her friends.

As an unwise knitter, I operate to a different tune. Smaller might be better, but if I am going to wear handmade socks, I really am going to insist on some squooshy factor in them.

I figure when I am as skilled as these Knitters are, I will probably know what size gauge my socks are in. I will probably care how tight the feet are worked, and will always knit for that tightness. I'm still in love with the very idea of me trying to knit. This probably is not a good way to do it. I probably should put on a more knitterly sort of glasses to help me see things clearly before I massacre any more sock yarn.

Till then, laying in a stock of darning needles might be a very good idea.


No comments: