Monday 31 March 2008

You could not tell

What if one day you could not tell you had done anything on the weekend? All your projects are moving along. You worked on socks, bamboo tops, scarves, lacy bits, spinning, but none of them are complete, none of them are even close. What if you have done feet of knitting, and have learned lots, but you have nothing to show off?

Well I'll tell you. You sit down and write about how you have nothing to show off.

I spent a lot of my time researching dyeing and spinning things. I spent much time pre-drafting and learning to do it evenly. I spent some time looking at books about spinning.

I checked out sheep breeds, and yarn qualities from the various animals. I checked out and compared breeds against what the big fibre places are saying are good or great spinning fibres. I did a lot of reading about staple fibre lengths. I did a lot this last weekend, and I have only scratched the surface. Very interesting stuff but not stuff that will earn my keep.

My knitting holiday is over, and it is time to sit down to figure out what I want to do with myself. I know a whole lot more what I don't want, than what I do. Its time to go past the direction stage and start traveling in a direction, down the path.

Even if I have to start without a map.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about joining a spinning forum ? I give you an invitation to join "tricofolk" forum. It's in France, I know, the language is a barrier...Let me add that there is a English part...and you can have translation...and some members are Americans or French-Canadian just like me...
I'm not a good spinner, just a beginner...with a rather old and ugly looking spinning wheel found in an attic...
Hoping to see(read...) you there !
Esther in Quebec

Gina said...

You have been tagged...read my blog.