Monday 3 March 2008

The things you do on weekends.

Some people do a lot of things on weekends. They shop, they run errands, they catch up with friends, they go for coffee. For too long, my weekends were about hiding out getting some peace and quiet, and not thinking. It is a huge relief to feel a little freedom. Hiding out can be a burden.

I stayed home this weekend, and worked hard to finish some things up. I have 2 sides of lace edging completed on the shawl, just one more and it is complete. It won't even take that long, just a few short hours. There was a point working off the live stitches where I was thinking about a much speedier crochet edging, but I am so very glad I stuck it out to knit it. The shawl wonderfully light and so very fluid now that most of it is off the needles. I'm starting to get a feeling for how it will be as working shawl and it is all good. Here is a little detail of the edging.

I did some spinning too, but still have a very long way to go and when my hands needed rest I played with a new toy. I took out the ball winder and gave it a whirl. I learned some interesting things about ball wound yarn, one being that too much tension results in a ball of yarn that sucks together so tight that you can't pull from the centre (I rewound that one), and that cotton is sort of fun to wind. No need to worry about stretch in the yarn with cotton.

From front to back, a skein of Anne from Schaeffer yarns purchased at River city (I love that they have some of this in stock right now), a teal coloured 'Gloss' from Knitpicks, Shadow also from Knitpicks, and finally some Cloud Cotton picked up at River City.

2 comments:

Gina said...

The shawl is amazing. Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the shawl. GD