Friday 29 February 2008

Lace is Humbling

I spent a long time last evening working on the edging for the shawl. I watched the better part of 'The Englishman Who went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain' working those 4 to 6 stitches. Its interesting after working so long on such very long rows to have it all come back to 4 and 6 stitches. The edging lace is simple and intuitive. It flows along really well.

The Blue project is coming along nicely too...only backwards. I worked on it the evening before, and somewhere in the last row, I made an error. So I backed up, and redid, and then made a different error. 3 times. Had I been wise, I would have stopped there, but no, I had to try one more time. I was then confronted by reality, I cannot count to 6 in the evenings, and I found myself more comforting work.


I spent the rest of the movie working on socks. Plain socks, with no fancy edges, and no fancy anything. Sock Blanks. Idiot simple sock blanks. Sock 2 of the tutti fruitti pair is well under way. I've been working on the first of the Cascade Fixation pair too, mostly at work.

I've no photos though. I'm working right now on getting my current stuff onto Ravelry. I'm finding somethings are being done up so fast that I don't get time to stash or queue or anything. Some stuff just goes right to complete. I will be finishing all my actual stash though. It will be nice to see amounts and kinds of things i have on hand. Right now, other than sock yarn, I don't have a lot on hand (Hard to believe).

I'll link to Karen's lovely things. Spend time at her site. Visit her at Etsy. Check out the exhibition of her wrapping cloths, and then go back further to see all the hidden treasures inside under around and through these magical pieces.

We North Americans can't hold a candle to her approach, to this way of looking at, thinking about, and doing embroideries. This is art, pure utterly delightful art.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh Wow. Thankyou so much for that lovely commentary on my blog, I really am touched. I just realised I don't even know your name!! Visit the blog again soon because I am having a giveaway, don't miss it. Karen.