Tuesday 19 February 2008

Very Good Things

After some deeply dispiriting happenings last week (but not of the yarny sort), yarn, wooly things and a wonderful friend were my saviour.

Friday I also picked up a package from the post office.

It was an nice normal package, filled with one of these which may be mildy odd, but it is now mine, which is really what matters. I had a lot of fun playing with it. I produced some fantastic...

...yarn barf.

This was a term I heard before but could not truly appreciate till I saw it happen in front of my own eyes. I had wonderful pictures of the wheel dripping with the stuff from its orfice, but the photo files would not copy, but what I saw happen before my very eyes, was indeed best described as yarn barf. It is what it is, and so I am somewhat proud of it. OK, I'm inordiantely proud of it and I think it should be framed. See that peice there folded back on itself? I've invented the autoply.

By Monday, it was looking like this,

still seriously overspun, still not really to be called yarn, but in my imagination, almost yarn.

And tomorrow, the world. Well, not really. The goal is just to really know the process, to really understand the making of the end product. In my dream and fantasy world, it is to make things with my yarn, things people can use, things like Grandmas mitts she spun and knitted for my dad. I know that she did this, so it has become important to me that someone in my family be able to carry on that history.

Why pick a Babe Wheel to start with? Yeah they are not the classiest looking thing, yeah there is some mention of wheel snobbery out there should I go to classes. No problem. I believe in getting the best tool I can afford, and right now, this is my price. What if I am not good at this, merely passable? What if I never get the hang of it and remain in the vanity thy name is yarn barf stage? What if I spend the 800 dollars on a show piece that never gets used, for a study that doesn't have the space? What if I don't enjoy doing it? I can accept all this, spending only 200 bucks, but not 800. So for now its me and my babe.

So many other good things happened. I finished the green socks of forever but have no photo to offer as proof (eaten by computer glitch). I worked on the shawl. I began other socks.

As I put the coloured yarn on for the toe (Patons Kroy Paintbox ), and worked a few rounds, I had to laugh at what was happening. 2 stitches colour change, 2 stitches colour change. How could I not laugh. It was a very tough week, and I could not get those things out of my head till I laughed over this silly birght wonderful yarn. They will be done by Wednesday, and I'm really looking forward to having them on my feet.

The other thing that happened Friday that made life worth living, was lunch with a very good friend. Sometimes when I'm are stressed and worn, and in the middle of whatever little miseries I feel are my most heavy cross to bear, I forget to notice how just talking to some people makes things better. She let me vent, and then we moved on, to disscussing the rest of our lives. I wasn't ready to look at the rest of my life (and it is a very good life) but she made me acknowledge just by chatting that I do have that actual good life.

She kept noting that she really liked green things, interpersing it through our conversation several times. She also nagged me that I have not yet knit her anything. So I set out to fix that.

I went by River City and had a wonderful time, feeling up all the yarns. I picked up some tools that I could no loger do without, and I looked over all the yarns for their greenness. My friend is a dedicated walker, and often spends several hours at a time getting fresh air and excersize. Since it is near the end of winter, and since she needs warmth, but not weight, this seemed like the perfect thing to use for a nice long scarf.

Noro Silk Garden, colour 255. The scarf was knit simply, a garter stitch edge, and stockinette in the middle, on 7 mm needles to give it a nice open look that will give her warmth by the layers and will be light enough to wear all spring to keep that last lingering chill in the air off her neck. It turned out gloriouly but I have no photos of it either. I will get photos when the set is done. Yes there are handwarmers in her future too.

And so, as you see, I arrived sane, and whole, due to some very good things.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yarn barf...hee hee hee. GD

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

I've been learning to spin too. It's supposed to be kinky until you set it and/or ply it, right?

I like the sock yarn. That's an interesting choice for the toe yarn. Is it a tougher yarn? Are you going to make a matching heel?

Gina said...

Sorry you are having a tough week. The spinning wheel is great. I had no idea you wanted to spin. Did your grandma teach you? If not, did you teach yourself???