Friday 8 February 2008

The simplest things

The simplest of things are often the nicest.

When I got home, again, since Mr Needles was away, I stopped for mail. I had a package! From Curlerchik! (CURLERCHIK!! what have you done to yourself?) It was my surprise win for her 1000 comment.

I of course drove placidly down the subdivision road, and walked carefully into the house and calmly opened the envelope to find a very pretty package. I oohed and ahhhed over the dainty packaging, dainty shoes and delicate bags scattered across a bright cheerful yellow background tied up with an elegant golden bow. There was a lovely card with a leaf on it (Handmade? I love that little leaf) and warm greetings inside.

Lovely isn't it. Carefully, I untied the bow and unwrapped the dainty paper.

Ok, my entire family is killing themselves laughing now, and I don't want them to hurt themselves, so I will be truthful.

I left all the mail but the package in the mail box, someone else can pick it up later, I ran back to the car, drove down the short road to my house (without putting my seatbelt back on, .4 km) grabbed all my crap from the car, and opened the house door so hard it moved shoes and the door knob dented the wall. I slammed the door shut, tossed my coat on the bench, ran up the stairs, and sat down to open the envelope. I did admire the package. I contemplated taking a picture, I debated about going down to my study to get the camera, but decided to open the package instead (a recreation is pictured above). I read the card and smiled, but even this could not slow me down.

I did ooh and ahh over the paper later, and I almost cried when I realized there was no way at all I was going to be able to recreate the beautifully tied bow Curlerchik made, not even close.

The outside was good, but the inside, oh the inside was spelndid.

Curlerchik, its wonderful. Its a true delft blue, with magical variations deep inside, hiding in the twists and turn of the wound ball. There is a richness of blues down in there and I can't wait to find them all.

This is magic of the very best kind. I can see hints of its colours, but I can't see it all. Knitting this will be a surprise in slow motion as I work.

And it will certainly be knit. I have decided that much. It will be a scarf, or handwarmers, I've decided this too. The details are up in the air.

There are antsy fingers in my house, indeed right here at my office desk. And I don't think even my very forgiving boss won't like me knitting the day away.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

You know, as much as you enjoyed receiving that yarn, your elequent thank you was more than that for me! I'm so glad you like it - I can't wait ti see what you create. And the wrist is OK - I plan on knitting this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Wow - it is so fun to get something unexpected in the mail - I'm thrilled for you! Thanks for your comment - group quilts are so fun to do, hair-pulling aside. I've just taken up knitting...I'm halfway through a pair of pants for my new grandson....he is due to arrive in April....I'm not using a pattern as I can't understand them.....so when I say they will be pants he can wear to the circus I'm not kidding! Nan (potsandpins)