Monday 28 January 2008

Knitting Happens

Wow. This weekend, actual knitting happened. It feels like ages since it worked that way. I also managed to sneak in a few stitches on that cute little Dolly Mama son3 and spouse gave me for Christmas.

I finished the hat. It looks better on a head but the head is sadly still in hospital. He's fine, just still on iv for antibiotics and other liquids. Though it looks a little bit like a cartoon picture of the Matterhorn, it has been confirmed, it fits just fine.

And then I did this. Calorimetry 3 and wristers.This is made of Zitron Loft, a really nice un-plied yarn and Misson Falls. I do hope the recipient enjoys it. Its her first semester away from home at a new university, and she is having a bit of a mid season slump. We are thinking of you, songbird. Cheer up. It goes in the mail today.

A word about Mission Falls wool. Really really nice wool. It's so warm as it goes through your fingers. Its soft and squishy and just everything you could ask for in a yummy yarn to play with. I could sit here all day rubbing the wristers in my hands and marveling over the soft, firm (I know, its polar opposites, but knit up a swatch and you will see what I mean), well defined fabric it makes. I will be using it again. If I will be using it for large project is the question.

It is one of the higher priced yarns at 7 dollars a skein but its main shortcoming is the small skein size of 85 yds. For the life of me I don't get why yarn makers do this. I'm sure they have a really sound reason for it, but from the crocheters or knitters side of things, small skeins are a sort of a pain in the behind. It soft plies make joining the ends is very very easy, but all the stopping to do it, that would make me bonkers.

Both the wristers and the headband are very yarn friendly. Calorimetry takes about a hundred yards. The wristers take about 120 for the pair. A nice quick weekend project,t perfect for times when your knitting life needs some completion.

Its been a zoo round here, and I really needed a completed something, so Calorimetry was just the ticket, but that doesn't mean I have avoided things I am determined to complete in short order. The shawl is still there, still being worked on. I'm starting to think I am practising knitting garter stitch while asleep. I'm finding I have a distressing tendency to zone out when I'm working on it and before I can say boo, my brain is snoring.

Which is usually what wakes me so I can keep knitting.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I love how the hat turned out...I knew I would as soon as you started it! And the calomitry and wrist warmers look great too. Yummy colors.