Wednesday 28 February 2024

Or Not

I realized something yesterday morning.  I was avoiding knitting on the Utikiek sweater.  I love knitting on it, and yet, I was avoiding it with everything I had in me.  On Monday, I was even glad that I had laundry to do so I had a kind of excuse not to knit.  I made cookies and really that should have been a clue for me.  The last thing this household needs is cookies when we are actively trying to wean ourselves off of post Christmas, post dark season carb hangovers.  The days are longer now and though spring is not here at all yet, the extra light makes me feel more awake and alive and I start craving fresh foods.  

Yes, I was really avoiding the knitting.  It was all the purling and I like purling (as long as I can do it my way, a form of combination knitting).  I realized what I was doing midmorning and knew exactly what to do to fix it. 



I pulled back the body section of the green and started over.  It wasn't much.  Six rows but six rows is when the pattern starts to be well established and I don't have to watch so carefully.  At six rows in, I start to get a feel for what is going on and am where I can start to read my knitting and just relax and enjoy the process.  

But, so it goes.  I knit most of the afternoon away and am only one row shy of the end of the pile of ripped back yarn and am ready to move forward.  It is really much more fun.  

The only problem now is that the house is a mess.  All that avoiding knitting did not mean the house was tidied instead.  Sadly, the days were just frittered away. I am going to have to spend some time fixing the house problem and that has never been my forte. 

Still there is the long afternoon to knit and enjoy. I can put on a good book (audio) or a movie and just get lost in the adventure happening in my head and my hands.  It is easy to go far when you are surrounded by such things.     


No comments: